nanogui: Cannot Compile 0.89pre5

Subject: Re: Cannot Compile 0.89pre5
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 4 Dec 2000 13:14:08 -0000

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Ibrahim Shaame wrote:
> Does this mean that I should have X11 (a sort of, as this library is usually
> installed with it) installed ?

No and no (you don't need X11, and svgalib isn't part of X11). Your best
bet is to use framebuffer mode. Try the VGA16 driver to start with.

BTW, what somebody else said earlier is correct. At the moment Nano-X
isn't really suitable for much other than web browsing, playing Tetris
Minesweeper or slider, viewing images, watching an on screen clock or a
world map, doing some basic shell commands via a very limited terminal
impementation, accessing remote machines via VNC, and developing or
porting new Nano-X applications. If you want a tiny windowing system for a
custom embedded system where you intend to write the application yourself,
it's great. Soon hopefully it'll be able to compete with PalmOS, EPOC32
and Wince in the palmtop space too (it'll need a lot more PDA type
applications writing first though). But for the moment if you want a
general purpose desktop windowing system with all the frills and tons of
applications already running on it, you could do far worse than go with
one of the cut down XFree86 based distributions instead (I believe there
are several, though I can't name any off the top of my head).

--
------- Alex Holden -------
http://www.linuxhacker.org/