nanogui: FLNX mods to fltk

Subject: Re: FLNX mods to fltk
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 15 Feb 2001 23:01:54 -0000

Yes, you have discovered a very unfortunate FLTK/FLNX quirk, in that
each window is a graphical engine window, and all
of the widgets are part of that window.  It is also true that one window
gets all the events for all of the child widgets.

It would definitely be nice to have a different window for each widget,
but unfortunately, this is probably not a feasible option
in the near term:  First, it would involve a major rewrite of the FLNX
(and FLTK) system to handle this.  I mean just think of the time it
would
take to redo each widget, not to mention the event handler (it would
definitely be simplified, but still, that's alot of code to wade
through).  Secondly, I believe that the extra work would affect the
functionality of the toolkit to the point where it would probably affect
our ability to directly run FLTK programs on FLNX with no modifications.

I am having trouble figuring out exactly what problems the handwriting
system would have, I would think that the XKey event could be sent to
the window with the current focus, and then the FLTK manager would go
ahead and send it to the correct widget.  That's what we do with Nano-X
and our keyboard/scribble client, and it seems to work fine.

I also don't agree that we have unneeded events -- we would handle most
events anyway - any event that would get sent to the individual widget
is still sent by the main event handler.  I guess you could cut out the
occasional event here and there, but I think that in the long run, it
wouldn't save nearly as much as you are hopping it would.

But I agree with your general point - a well constructed widget set
would have individual windows for each widget, and I am hoping that the
several groups that are working on Nano-X widget sets take that into
consideration.  But as far as FLTK is concerned, I don't think its a
huge problem, and I definitely don't think that it's worth it to modify
at this point.  Maybe FLTK 2.0 will be a different story?

Jordan