nanogui: nanogui widget set

Subject: RE: nanogui widget set
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jun 1999 20:24:36 -0000

: Nothing more than what you described earlier.
: Support for windows font is the paradise for me.
: what i need is
: "What you see on windows is what you get on nano X"
: the look matters more than the api.
:

The way that the font-converter works is this:

	First, the nano-engine supports it's own (currently in-core) "C" based
font structure, which supports fixed and proportional fonts of 1-256 characters.
These character images are stored as a monochrome bitmap array and a character
width array.  The image bits are right-aligned to a word boundary.  (I started
with the design that Ben Pfaff came up with, and extended it a little.)

	Then I wrote two converters:  One reads the PC bios ROM fonts and
writes them into a "C" file FONT structure.  The second one is a win32 program
running under windows that creates a win32 HFONT, selects it into a DC, and
then displays each character on the screen.  The program then reads the raster
bits from the screen (regardless of whether the font is a raster font or truetype font)
and writes them into a C file.  In this way, I have the MS-Windows System and Dialog
fonts. (System 14x16 and MSSansSerif 11x13).  All the font files are kept in
a library, and linked into micro-windows by the programmer's request.  The programmer
selects a font by number, which is currently an array of bound-in fonts.  Also, there's
a .bdf file converter from Ben, that I also made work.

	Someday I plan on using Ben's code to read in .bdf files into my in-core
structure, but currently with micro-win, there's not much need for more than the System
and MSSansSerif fonts yet.