nanogui: nanogui widget set

Subject: RE: nanogui widget set
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 17:43:46 -0000

On Wednesday, June 16, 1999 2:02 AM, Alex Holden ####@####.#### wrote:
: On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:
: > 	Yeah, I thought that, and that's one reason I haven't released it yet,
: > I think I'll have to remove the font files, and people will have to use the font converter
: > to convert fonts from a system they have an MS-license for.
:
: I'm not sure that'd work either, unless they buy a windoze license for
: every copy of Nano-windows (you're not allowed to buy one license and
: use it on several machines). Probably finding some which look the same but
: are freeware would be a better idea. The same probably goes for the bios
: fonts, if you were thinking of distributing them with the system (and not
: all machines have a bios, if they are loaded at runtime). Have you tried
: creating a loader for Linux console fonts?
:

Well, I'm glad that my support of MS fonts for micro-windows has caused
quite a stir.  The reason that I wrote micro-windows is that I wanted to see
whether I could quickly recreate an implementation of win32 that completely
resembles windows in < 64k.  I did.  The windows font grabber was created because
I have no time to create a complete font, and neither do most developers at this
stage of the game in nano-development.  I have decided, however, that I won't distribute
the grabbed fonts, even if it might be quasi legal, because I have no intention
of creating a an act of piracy.

	In regards to the rom fonts, support for a variety of rom fonts was
deemed required by me in order to keep nano small.  Again, it was done to get the
project going quickly, something I believe in.  Too many projects take too long to
complete, as far as I'm concerned.  The ELKS and DOS ports of nano are
linked with a screen driver that requires ROM fonts, so ROM code is linked in.
This is because those ports are tight on memory.  All PC bios's support rom fonts.

	What are the linux console fonts?  Aren't they rom fonts?