nanogui: GTK+ port to nano-X

Subject: RE: GTK+ port to nano-X
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2001 17:28:09 -0000

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Jeff Wood wrote:
> 	I don't pretend to be an expert here, but I did check the
> GTK+ mail archives and they seem to bear out your opinion.  There
> are some direct dependencies by the gnome libraries on X11.  I'm
> going to do some further checking, but this particular mail
> indicated it was a fairly light dependency.  Note that this was
> Mar 00 and I don't know how much gome dependency on X11 has changed
> in the meantime.

I'm guessing the main things will be the session manager support, the
font support, and the window manager hints support. There may also be a
few things which use Atoms to communicate between applications. Probably
not a huge job, if somebody wants it enough to do the port.

Getting GDK (and hence GTK+) working would be of much more immediate
benefit as unlike Gnome, GTK+ isn't too big for current Linux PDAs (the
handhelds.org people are currently using PyGTK to develop a suite of PDA
applications, for example), and it could probably be slimmed down even
more if somebody felt that way inclined. There are also huge numbers of
pure GTK+ programs already available which would require little if
anything more than a recompile against the Nano-X version of GTK+ to port
them (I know I keep mentioning ROX desktop, but it really is a nice system
and pretty small too). Another such program is SkipStone, a pure GTK+ web
browser which uses the Gecko HTML engine from Mozilla but none of the
user interface bloat. We would also get a nice UI builder (Glade) and a
huge number of developers who already know GTK+ effectively for free.

Another point is that GTK+ on Nano-X would have the main benefit of GTKfb
(significantly smaller than GTK+ on X11), without the disadvantages
(only one application at a time, no APIs other than GTK+ supported).

--
------- Alex Holden -------
http://www.linuxhacker.org/