nanogui: nano-X 0.6

Subject: RE: nano-X 0.6
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jun 1999 12:47:24 -0000

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:
> : I did download it, and I did have problems. It appears to clear
> 	Are you running the vga16 framebuffer as well?  You might "undo"

I just tried microwindows 0.81 and it worked first time (apart from the
math.h thing). I don't know what changed to make it work, but it's pretty
impressive.

A few points:

* Giving focus to a window doesn't bring it to the top, which means that
the height placement rules are effectively hard wired because the
depth of a window never changes.
* The redrawing algorithm is so slow (seconds on a Pentium 150, presumably
minutes on an 8088) that the current window movement algorithm isn't
really ideal (ie. it looks ugly when you grab a window and move it around
and it leaves trails which take a second to disappear). The "slow window
move algorithm" seems to be  faster than the "fast window move algorithm"
and doesn't leave as many ugly trails.
* It would look better (and possibly be more efficient, depending on how
you implement it) if the drawing of windows was Z sorted from back to
front, instead of just basing the clipping on Z order (at the moment, the
background is drawn last, which doesn't look very nice).
* The 3D app revealed another problem with the "client compiled into the
server" model that I hadn't thought of before- if a client wants to use
100% of the processor time, the server doesn't have any chance to do
things like moving the mouse until the client asks the server to do
something. This reveals this in the very wierd mouse movement behaviour
over the 3D window, as the server can only move the mouse whenever the
application does enough processing to ask it to draw another frame.
* The animated buttons don't seem to look quite right (the bottom and
right hand sides of the button should move too, right?).
* It looks and behaves almost exactly like Windows (a bad thing in my book ;).

Are you planning to announce it on Freshmeat now or wait until more it's
more advanced first (or do you want me to do it for you)?

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :