nanogui: Small Xlib replacement

Subject: Re: Small Xlib replacement
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 8 Sep 1999 16:55:06 -0000

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:
> > The GUIs of Photon, Epoc, PalmOS, Wince, etc. as well as the multitude of
> > embedded UIs you find in things like photocopiers (more and more of them
> > are being built with enough processor power and a good enough display to
> > be able to run Linux, ucLinux or ELKS and a tiny GUI).
> So one would have to write specifically to it, as one writes to Gnome or
> KDE?

Not really, as you could theoretically port GDK, Glib, GTK+, and Gnome to
NanoGUI (probably without a huge amount of work) and then be able to
compile Gnome programs to run on NanoGUI. IE. Gnome and KDE are at a
higher layer than we're talking about. But yes, you would need to
either port the particular toolkit used to write the applications you're
interested in to NanoGUI or if it doesn't use a toolkit (most do), port
it directly to the NanoGUI API itself which, as Greg is saying, isn't a
million miles away from the X API.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :