nanogui: Libraries, interfaces, X, Win32

Subject: Re: Libraries, interfaces, X, Win32
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 9 Sep 1999 11:25:07 -0000

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> > Yes, that's what we have discussed doing. Simply create a new version
> > of the client library which transparently translates between Xlib-like
> > calls or Win32-like calls (or potentially Epoc-like or Palmos-like
> > calls) and native nanoserver calls.
> That does have space implications on platforms which don't support shared
> libraries, though, doesn't it?

A library with a translation layer in it probably won't be much more code
than the one without it, which you have to link against anyway. If you're
worried about saving probably less than a couple of KB, use the nanoserver
API directly instead of an emulation layer for a different API. The amount
of code needed is so tiny that shared libraries wouldn't make much
difference at all (any gain you might get would most likely get lost in
the noise).

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :