nanogui: Porting NanoGui to a platform without FrameBuffers ???

Subject: RE: Porting NanoGui to a platform without FrameBuffers ???
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 27 Sep 1999 16:34:40 -0000

: Is it possible to use NanoGui with an embedded system that
: does not support FrameBuffers ( does not run under Linux ) ?
:

	There is currently support for Linux SVGAlib and MSDOS
VGA (real mode) and ELKS (real mode linux for 8086's at: ftp://microwindows.censoft.com/pub/microwindows

	The design of microwindows/nanogui allows all hardware-dependent
functionality to be unbundled from the core.  Currently, this consists of the screen
driver, mouse driver, and keyboard driver.  I have written real-mode drivers for
bare PC hardware, not requiring any operating system.  The only screen drivers
written for real mode consist currently of a VGA driver and Hercules mono driver.

	As Alex mentioned, only read and write pixel are required to port
the system screen driver.  I have put considerable thought into this just
so that porting is easy.  For instance, all text output and cursor management
is perfomed through read/write pixel.  As others will attest though, you'll definitely
want to write a fast horizontal line draw, or it'll be slow...

: If it is possible, the hardware initially, for testing,
: will be a PC.
:

	I regularly build the microwindows release on a PC running DOS.
The makefiles included assume MSC v5.10 C compiler.  I am thinking of
building a release for the dev86 bcc compiler for DOS, but I need to emit
MZ format headers first, rather than ELKS a.out format.