nanogui: Thread: Questions?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Questions?
From: Cheng Bor-wen ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 1999 01:39:28 -0000

Hello:

I have 2 questions :
(1)
    Does every TTY in /dev must have its own /dev/fd?
(2)
    Where can I get more information for linux?
     and documents avout programming using frame buffer?

THANX!

Subject: Re: Questions?
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 1999 11:31:58 -0000

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Cheng Bor-wen wrote:
> (1)
>     Does every TTY in /dev must have its own /dev/fd?

No. If you mean /dev/fb* (the framebuffer devices), you just need one for
each graphics card you have. If you only have one graphics card, you only
need /dev/fb0, which should look something like:

crw-------   1 root root 29,   0 Apr 18 09:37 /dev/fb0

> (2)
>     Where can I get more information for linux?

There is a huge amount of information about Linux on the Internet. For a
start, try looking through the sites linked along the right hand side of
http://www.linuxhacker.org/. I particularly reccomend
http://www.linux-howto.com/

>      and documents avout programming using frame buffer?

There isn't very much yet, as the framebuffers are a fairly new
development. If you just want more information on setting them up, you
should read the HOWTO which is on http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk/
somewhere. If you have any specific problems, first try reading code which
does similar things, like the Bogl and GGI sources. Secondly, you could
try asking here or on the framebuffer mailing list (I'm pretty sure there
is one, but I don't know it's address).

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :