nanogui: Thread: GDK

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: GDK
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 18 May 1999 15:46:33 -0000

Before releasing an official Nano-X-0.5, I want to get all the necessary
API changes over with which will be needed to support GDK. I'd like
suggestions about the best way to do this. The ideas we have so far are:

1. Just add the new functions and event types which are essential to
support a basic (no drag and drop, threads or shared memory)
implementation of the GDK library.
2. Alter the Nano-X interface to look like GDK without the functions which
require any complex processing (which would keep it small, but also make
the GDK library very small and simple).
3. Put a basic GDK implementation in the Nano-X client library.
4. Alter the client interface to be as close as possible to the X
interface without bloating it. This would have the advantage of making it
easier to port other toolkits, but would still probably end up needlessly
large.

At the moment, I prefer the second idea, as GDK is very close to what we
want from the client interface anyway, and doing it this way would mean
that the library required to provide the full GDK feature set could be
kept as small as possible. What do other people think?

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :