nanogui: Thread: Small Xlib replacement

[<<] [<] Page 2 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Small Xlib replacement
From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Sep 1999 16:59:08 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Cox ####@####.####
To: Bradley D. LaRonde ####@####.####
Cc: ####@####.#### ####@####.#### ####@####.####
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 12:40 PM

> > > embedded UIs you find in things like photocopiers (more and more of
them
> > > are being built with enough processor power and a good enough display
> > > be able to run Linux, ucLinux or ELKS and a tiny GUI).
> >
> > So one would have to write specifically to it, as one writes to Gnome or
> > KDE?
>
> Neither. Gnome is built on gtk (which is window system independant (ish))
which
> is built on gdk which is window system specific. So you port gdk you get
> gnome on it - ditto Qt andd KDE.

Let's see if I get it:

    Gnome -> gtk -> gdk-for-x -> Xlib -> xserver -> framebuffer
    KDE -> Qt-for-x -> Xlib -> xserver -> framebuffer

Now put NanoGUI in:

    Gnome -> gtk -> gdk-for-nano -> NanoGUI -> NanoX -> framebuffer
    KDE -> Qt-for-nano -> NanoGUI -> NanoX -> framebuffer

Is that right?  Does NanoGUI replace the Xlib layer, and NanoX replace the
xserver layer?

Regards,
Brad