nanogui: Thread: dual video

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: dual video
From: "Kyle Harris" ####@####.####
Date: 30 Sep 1999 02:19:12 -0000

Can anyone tell me what would be required to support dual videos (2 separate VGA controllers) using framebuffers and nanogui? I'm guessing that the screen driver simply opens a second framebuffer device (e.g., /dev/fb1) and everything else works the same as far as nanogui goes. I don't understand much about the framebuffer (actually I'm pretty ignorant of all this graphic stuff, but learning), so I'm not sure what is required within the kernel and drivers to support a second VGA.

Thanks,
Kyle Harris
####@####.####

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:11:52 -0400 you wrote:
>Can anyone tell me what would be required to support dual videos (2
>separate VGA controllers) using framebuffers and nanogui? I'm guessing
>that the screen driver simply opens a second framebuffer device (e.g.,
>/dev/fb1) and everything else works the same as far as nanogui goes. I
>don't understand much about the framebuffer (actually I'm pretty
>ignorant of all this graphic stuff, but learning), so I'm not sure what
>is required within the kernel and drivers to support a second VGA.

I don't know how/if the framebuffer drivers handles it, but once there's
a GGI driver in NanoGUI (I've got a semi-working one somewhere...), you
can easily do multiheading and tiling, etc.

Vidar