nanogui: Thread: comments on freestyle kernel

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: comments on freestyle kernel
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 14 Oct 1999 21:18:37 -0000

Thanks to Brad's efforts, last night for the first time
I witnessed the Everex Freestyle A-15 boot up and
display the graphical penguin ;-)

Right afterwards, I ran Brad's touch screen calibration
program (A microwindows program used to calibrate
the screen) and then ran the standard microwindows
demo, which creates 8 windows, title bars, and a 3d graphics
demo.  To my delight, it ran!

There are issues, however, and I wanted to document them
to the group.  Feel free to use, discard, debate or otherwise ignore
them.  Thanks to everyone who's worked on the kernel and
userland stuff, I'm _extremely_ impressed!

1. When the freestyle boots, if the background
light happened to be on in WinCE, it stays on.
Can that bit be cleared on boot?

2. Needless to say, after booting linux, the on/off
button doesn't work.  Could that be easily changed
to turn the display on/off, or is that all part
of the sophisticated power management stuff?

3. The tpcal program should automatically write
/etc/pointercal, as well as display the numbers.  ;-)

4. _All_ programs, including ls, microwin, and tpcal,
all get bus errors when you first run them.  Sometimes
I have to run them three times before they actually get going.
I was thinking that this was perhaps a page faulting issue
with kernel cache, since the problem eventually goes away
with the same binary and never repeats.
This is the biggest problem so far, and according to Brad,
only occurs with the freestyle.  Perhaps others can try
Brad's latest kernel.  It also occured with the serial kernel
from Brad's site.

5. I can't wait to get all the userland libc stuff,
since I still don't have my system setup to create
freestyle binaries.

6. The current ramdisk image on Brad's site still
has a problem in microwindows, that i'm currently
fixing, so the demo dies just as it draws the background
wallpaper.  This will be fixed asap, so we still can't quite
drag windows on the screen and see the 3d demo...