nanogui: Thread: Re: Stupid licensing thread (Was: Request for comments - Microwindows)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: Stupid licensing thread (Was: Request for comments - Microwindows)
From: David Murn ####@####.####
Date: 4 Oct 1999 20:53:26 -0000

On 4 Oct 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:

> >I still personally think the MPL is the only standard license that fits
> >the linked in case at all
>
> I agree, but on the other hand I'd gladly support licensing the code under
> both the GPL and the MPL, so that those who wants to develop free software
> can do so and still use other GPL'd software in their programs.

IMHO, the simple/obvious answer is GPL.  If someone wants to write
commercial/closedsource programs, there's nothing at all stopping them
from writing their own library, under their own license.  I very much
dislike the thought of someone making money off any code I've written,
without giving something back to the opensource community, and I'm sure
quite a few people would agree.

As long as the API and/or messaging protocol are open spec, then anyone
can write their own library.  X is an example, XFree uses opensource
license, metrox and accelx used closed.  Same function, same result, but
they had to write their own library.

Davey

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 06:44:43 +1000 (EST) you wrote:
>On 4 Oct 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
>
>> >I still personally think the MPL is the only standard license that fits
>> >the linked in case at all
>>
>> I agree, but on the other hand I'd gladly support licensing the code under
>> both the GPL and the MPL, so that those who wants to develop free software
>> can do so and still use other GPL'd software in their programs.
>
>IMHO, the simple/obvious answer is GPL.  If someone wants to write
>commercial/closedsource programs, there's nothing at all stopping them
>from writing their own library, under their own license.  I very much
>dislike the thought of someone making money off any code I've written,
>without giving something back to the opensource community, and I'm sure
>quite a few people would agree.

In our case, our alternative is to write our own library, yes, or choose
one under a less restrictive license. Currently I work part time on a widget
set for NanoGUI. In the near future I and another developer will be working
nearly full time on it, and we also sponsor another company to port a major
software product to NanoGUI.

This is code that we contribute back. If the _contributors_ to NanoGUI
regards prefer a restrictive licensing scheme over those contributions,
then fine. In that case we'll spend our time and money improving
another product instead, or license a closed source product instead of
spending or time and money on supporting an open source project.

>As long as the API and/or messaging protocol are open spec, then anyone
>can write their own library.  X is an example, XFree uses opensource
>license, metrox and accelx used closed.  Same function, same result, but
>they had to write their own library.

Actually they wouldn't have had to if they didn't want to. The XFree license
permits closed source use.

Vidar Hokstad
> >As long as the API and/or messaging protocol are open spec, then anyone
> >can write their own library.  X is an example, XFree uses opensource
> >license, metrox and accelx used closed.  Same function, same result, but
> >they had to write their own library.

[Equally a server]

> Actually they wouldn't have had to if they didn't want to. The XFree license
> permits closed source use.

Indeed. And while LGPL might be better in some ways than the BSD license X
wouldnt be where it is today had it had a GPL library

"It's not about the money...It's about the rules.  Without rules,
   we might as well be tree climbers flinging crap at each other."
                          - Red Foreman of That '70s Show

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > >As long as the API and/or messaging protocol are open spec, then anyone
> > >can write their own library.  X is an example, XFree uses opensource
> > >license, metrox and accelx used closed.  Same function, same result, but
> > >they had to write their own library.
>
> [Equally a server]
>
> > Actually they wouldn't have had to if they didn't want to. The XFree license
> > permits closed source use.
>
> Indeed. And while LGPL might be better in some ways than the BSD license X
> wouldnt be where it is today had it had a GPL library

:  the near future I and another developer will be working
: nearly full time on it, and we also sponsor another company to port a major
: software product to NanoGUI.
:
: This is code that we contribute back.

	Correct me if I'm wrong: If we license LGPL _or_ MPL,
it is not required to contribute any code back.

 If the _contributors_ to NanoGUI
: regards prefer a restrictive licensing scheme over those contributions,
: then fine. In that case we'll spend our time and money improving
: another product instead, or license a closed source product instead of
: spending or time and money on supporting an open source project.

	So we need a license that:
		1) must
	or	2) should
		cause contributors to contribute code back.  Which?