nanogui: Thread: GrArea architecture

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: GrArea architecture
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Dec 1999 16:56:35 -0000

Morten,
    I realize you're probably quite busy, but I wanted to try to finalize
our discussion of colors and Nano-X, and possibly code up something
that will suite your needs.  Also, I'd like to ask Richard (Opera port)
whether this will work.

Proposed solution:
    o add GrAreaRGB() that takes COLORVALs rather than PIXELVALs,
and have the server completely translate the passed RGB values per pixel
to the current truecolor or palette colors.  This allows device-independent
GrArea to be called for minimal client computation, when speed isn't entirely
of the essence.

   o allow Nano-X to be compiled with 8, 16 and 32bpp PIXELVALs, and
have GrArea() pass passed PIXELVAL array directly to driver, without
modification.
This, along with a set of predefined macros for generating PIXELVALs
according to the current hardware mode, along with GetSystemPaletteEntries,
would allow the client to prepare hardware PIXELVALs directly for speed, if
desired.

If this sounds like it could work, I can code it fairly rapidly.