nanogui: Thread: Pseudo terminal access for Microwindows terminal

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Pseudo terminal access for Microwindows terminal
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 10 Dec 1999 20:09:46 -0000

: [Microwindows patch for getting pseudo-terminal access]
: My sincere apologies for my previous message, which contained a patch
: that wouldn't apply correctly.  Somehow, in preparing the message, the
: whitespace in the patch got garbled up.  Mea culpa.
:
: Here it is again.  Hopefully more correct this time.
:
: (Alert readers are warned that Greg's message may include a simpler
: solution that I haven't tried yet..)

Dan -
    I have applied my simple solution to the Microwindows mtern.c program.
(Checking for 10 rather than 3 pty's, and using undocumented EIO error return)
This allows programs to run while root under X11.  I haven't heard from you
whether a call to grantpt() is required for running when not root.

I will leave my patch in, and yours unapplied (since we can still then
at least share the code with ELKS) unless I hear from you.  If your
patch is required to run non-root, then we should add it, with an #ifdef
ELKS so that the code to gain access to pty's remains (somewhat) portable.

Of course, another option would be to add the getpt, grantpt, unlockpt
and ptsname functions to the ELKS libc.