nanogui: Thread: Drawing Targets

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Drawing Targets
From: "Darran D. Rimron" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jan 2000 21:42:28 -0000

Hi all,

This is probably a really stupid idea, but please feel free to shoot me
down in flames anyway.

I want to write an application, like a window manager sort of thing....
And i want to link it against other applications and when said routine
that is linked against "me" is called, it is called with a parameter
that points to a Graphics Area (Gc4, for example) and then said linked
routine can plot into that routine, calling all sorts of fancy Nano-X
functions to find out the bit-depth, and dimentions of that Graphics
Area.  Sound sane so far?

Think WinCE. Think the WinCE window. Applications plot to the screen,
minus the taskbar, not to the entire screen. I want similar to that,
except the applications are linked into the server and the size of that
"window" is variable depending what the server draws for it.  Make
sense? Can I do it?

	-Darran

--
 Darran D. Rimron            European Research & Development Manager
Real Data Services, 117-119 Marlborough Road, Romford, Essex, RM7 8AR

: Think WinCE. Think the WinCE window. Applications plot to the screen,
: minus the taskbar, not to the entire screen. I want similar to that,
: except the applications are linked into the server and the size of that
: "window" is variable depending what the server draws for it.  Make
: sense? Can I do it?

I'm confused:  aren't you just talking about a window id?  And applications
never assume anything but call GrGet* functions before drawing?

> I'm confused:  aren't you just talking about a window id?
> And applications never assume anything but call GrGet*
> functions before drawing?

To a lesser extent, yes -- but what I need to do is stop the application
seeig anything parent to it's own window, therefore spoofing to the
application that the window it is in is actually the parent (root?)
window of an empty screen.... (ie, for example, write a parent app that
calls a modified version nterm.c in one window and, ok, um, say world.c
in another, yes?)

	-Darran