nanogui: Thread: Microwindows at Montreal Linux Expo

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Microwindows at Montreal Linux Expo
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Apr 2000 01:21:48 -0000

I'm going to be showing Microwindows at the Montreal
Linux Expo next week, in Monta Vista's booth.  I thought
I'd mention this to the list in case anyone's going to be near
the area...  The show is April 11th and 12th next week

Monta Vista is a company that specializes in supplying Linux
for the embedded market.  I'll be showing Microwindows
running on a cool StrongARM board manufactured by
ADS out of Maryland.  The ADS card features 16 megs
of RAM and a CF card that it boots linux from, and
a super cool 4" by 5" 640x480 256 color LCD display.
The card is about 2" by 3", so the display is quite a bit
bigger than the computer.

We just finished writing a kernel touch screen driver for the
unit, and it's quite fun dragging windows around with your
finger.  (yes, the close box is a bit small...)

> I'm going to be showing Microwindows at the Montreal
> Linux Expo next week, in Monta Vista's booth.  I thought
> I'd mention this to the list in case anyone's going to be near
> the area...  The show is April 11th and 12th next week
>
> Monta Vista is a company that specializes in supplying Linux
> for the embedded market.  I'll be showing Microwindows
> running on a cool StrongARM board manufactured by
> ADS out of Maryland.  The ADS card features 16 megs
> of RAM and a CF card that it boots linux from, and
Whats a CF card. Flash?
> a super cool 4" by 5" 640x480 256 color LCD display.
> The card is about 2" by 3", so the display is quite a bit
> bigger than the computer.
Whats this little beastie for? Any camerashots?
Are these going to be generically available boards?

BTW is anyone else a lttle bit worried about this patent story:
(see http://lwn.net/daily)
Ateon Networks receives patent on remote storage for internet appliances
Commerce, April 3 (Monday)
Ateon Networks, which makes Linux-based internet appliances, has
announced the receipt of a patent on "remote storage for
internet appliances." The patent is not written in the
most clear manner, but it would appear to cover serving
files from a protected internal network.

If CF is flash, wont it affect such boxes?
Rahul

From: Alan Cox ####@####.####
Date: 7 Apr 2000 23:18:41 -0000

> internet appliances." The patent is not written in the
> most clear manner, but it would appear to cover serving
> files from a protected internal network.
>
> If CF is flash, wont it affect such boxes?

Flash file store is only 15 odd years old.

So for all obvious uses I can see the patent if it covered it would have
prior art. Also if its GPL code then taking their code and using it for
your tasks and hacking changing it is allowed. If they tried to enforce
the patent on you with their GPL code they would violate the GPL since
they gave you a 'no additional restrictions' use of it

(This is why some big vendors dont issue GPL drivers 8))