nanogui: Thread: FLTK and Nano-X

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: FLTK and Nano-X
From: Victor Veres ####@####.####
Date: 10 May 2000 07:28:46 -0000

I am interested in a toolkit for an embedded system under Linux that
supports multi-processing, i.e. multiple application support, and is
also as small and fast as possible.

To me it seems like multi-application support is more easily achievable
with Nano-X than MicroWindows, (partly) due to its client/server
architecture. I followed the client/server discussion a while back,
looked at the code, and it seems like this could be made to work without
too much drama. After all, the thing nearly works already in an example
that I have :-) .

Secondly, FLTK looks lighter weight and higher performance than
gtk++/gdk. So, I think the ideal combination for me would be and
FLTK/Nano-X port, with some work on Nano-X to get the multi-app support
going.

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this, particularly my FLTK/gtk
assesment. If gtk is not as heavy as I believe, then I can go with
gtk/Nano-X. Unfortunately I do not have actual memory/CPU usage targets
yet, so I am forced to take an as fast/small as possible stance.

Thanks,

Victor
> To me it seems like multi-application support is more easily achievable
> with Nano-X than MicroWindows, (partly) due to its client/server
> architecture. I followed the client/server discussion a while back,
> looked at the code, and it seems like this could be made to work without
> too much drama. After all, the thing nearly works already in an example
> that I have :-) .

Or you could extend the client/server stuff to the microwindows side as well
as to nano-X..

> Secondly, FLTK looks lighter weight and higher performance than
> gtk++/gdk. So, I think the ideal combination for me would be and
> FLTK/Nano-X port, with some work on Nano-X to get the multi-app support
> going.

FLTK is lighter but more limited. For very small embedded things I imagine
the limits dont bite you and size is the big one