nanogui: Thread: microwindows ..

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: microwindows ..
From: "KIM,KYOUNG-IL (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Sep 2000 02:00:03 -0000

Hi,

I'm new to microwindows.
I'm using SH3 processor. Linux kernel and some drivers
seems to work on it and I can talk to system trough the
console now.

How can I integrate microwindows and my kernel ?

What output file from microwindows should I add to my
kernel image and how can it be started when system boot up?

Thank you
Kyoung Kim
I set up cross-compile environment in Arch.rules and
compiled microwindows successfully.
I found several new library in /src/lib directory
and found all sources in /src/mwin were compiled
and obj files are created.
What is my next step ?

Thank you,
Kyoung Kim

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, KIM,KYOUNG-IL (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
> How can I integrate microwindows and my kernel ?

Why do you want to do that? It's not a good idea to put the window server
in the kernel for many reasons, including:

A bug can crash the whole machine due to the lack of memory protection.
The stack is quite limited in size.
Only a very limited subset of the libc functions are available.
Getting access to things like the framebuffer, keyboard and mouse input
can be awkward.
The kernel malloc() implementation probably isn't very well suited to the
application.
You have to recompile the kernel and reboot the machine with the new
kernel image in order to upgrade to a new version of the server (unless
it's a module, which seems to defeat your object of having it compiled
into the kernel).
You probably won't even see any significant speed improvements, due to the
aggregation of requests into blocks.
Memory in kernel space can't be swapped out, however tight memory is.

> What output file from microwindows should I add to my
> kernel image and how can it be started when system boot up?

What you would be better doing is simply putting the executable in your
RAM disk and starting it from init.

--
--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :