nanogui: Thread: Can nanowm show/hide nxclients?

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Can nanowm show/hide nxclients?
From: yi yang ####@####.####
Date: 23 Feb 2001 04:03:03 -0000

Hi,
    Maybe my problem is simialar to Xiang Lee.
    I wrote a Panel application, it contains several
buttons. When the button was pressed, I use
   system("bin/nxclientA");
   to start another application.
   After several apps was started, I want to use
keyboard to switch among the apps.
   I can get the key event from kernel driver, but I
don't know how to interact with the client programs.
Can I send some show/hide messages to a particular
client window? Since I don't want to change every
client program, I want to implement this function in
nanowm, what should I do?

Best Regards,
Yi Yang

As long as you are running with Nano-X as a server, it is fairly trivial
to do what you are doing as long as you have some basic information.  In
the Nano-X server, you can control any window you like from any of the
clients, as long as you know the window ID.  This is now the nanowm
works, it stores the window ID of the client, and then uses that to draw
decorations and move the window around, etc, etc..  So, as long as you
know the window ID of your application, you have the ability to hide it,
show it, move it, draw in it, and even destroy it if you want.

Jordan