nanogui: Thread: Arm device with 4bpp and planes==0

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Arm device with 4bpp and planes==0
From: "Yair, Oren" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jul 2009 09:15:55 -0000

Hi,

I have an ARM device that works with 4bpp.  When I first ran the nano-X I got the message:

Unsupported 16 color (4 bpp) truecolor framebuffer

Cannot initialise screen
I check the code and found out that in ./drivers/scr_fb.c function fb_open, there is a need to deal with case 4.  so I added the lines:

        if(visual == FB_VISUAL_TRUECOLOR || visual == FB_VISUAL_DIRECTCOLOR) {
                switch(psd->bpp) {
                case 4:
                        psd->pixtype = MWPF_PALETTE;
                        break;
After doing that I got the message:

No driver for screen type 1 visual 4 bpp 4

Cannot initialise screen

So I found out that my device has psd->planes == 0 (I do not know what it means), so in ./drivers/fb.c select_fb_subdriver I added:

        if(psd->planes == 1 || psd->planes == 0) {
                switch(psd->bpp) {

After these two changes nano-X runs with no errors.  I ran the sample.c code but I got no output on the display, the log is:

[root@ebr oren]$ ./bin/nano-X & sleep 1 ; ./test/sample
start set cmap !
get cmap option !
0  100  200  300
set cmap ok
start set cmap !
get cmap option !
0  1100  2200  3300
set cmap ok
createfont: (height == 0) found builtin font System (0)
createfont: (height == 0) found builtin font System (0)

My questions are:
1. Are my two changes above correct?  Is there a better way to do that?
2. Can someone see what the problem is that the device display nothing on the screen?

Thanks,
Oren.

________________________________
This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the ####@####.#### and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes.

An NDS Group Limited company. www.nds.com
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:15:53PM +0300, Yair, Oren wrote:
> I have an ARM device that works with 4bpp.  When I first ran the
> nano-X I got the message:
>
> Unsupported 16 color (4 bpp) truecolor framebuffer
> [...]
> So I found out that my device has psd->planes == 0 (I do not know what
> it means), so in ./drivers/fb.c select_fb_subdriver I added:

what OS are you running on your ARM platform?  if your framebuffer
driver is not showing any planes, this may indicate a bug in the
framebuffer device driver.

have you verified the framebuffer driver is working with something other
than nano-X?

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | ####@####.####