newscache: Questions about running version 0.99.22

Subject: RE: Questions about running version 0.99.22
From: "Booker Apelin" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jan 2003 03:05:02 -0000

Hi,

Just the "Got address from inet_addr: 64.65.64.15"  Here's how it looks
like:

Jan  3 10:52:09 kulolo NewsCache[33789]: Got address from inet_addr:
64.65.64.15
Jan  3 10:52:09 kulolo NewsCache[33789]: Exception!
Jan  3 10:52:09 kulolo NewsCache[33789]:   Type: System
Jan  3 10:52:09 kulolo NewsCache[33789]:   Desc: cannot connect to news
server  ErrStr(49): Can't assign requested address

> Look in /var/log/news/news.debug (configured in /etc/syslog.conf on
> Linux systems). Here you can find more messages. If you can catch a
> whole error-session in news.debug with this problem, you can send me
> this. In Version 0.99.22 it is sometimes very hard to understand the
> flow of Exeption messages.

I don't have that in my syslog.conf file.  I'll add that to it.

> If you are able to reconfigure and recompile the program, then you can
> try ./configure --enable-debug. With this options, you get many more
> messages in den news.debug file.

Ok I'll try that.

> >My guess is this occurs because of SuperNews's very log timeout value.
> >And NewsCache's in ability to handle that.  I'm assuming this because I
> >use tin to connect to my newscache server and it works fine when I first
> >start the program up.  But If I leave my tin session unattended for more
> >than 5 minutes then the error messages above me occur.  My tin reader
> >also cannot retrieve any more articles and just gives me an error that
> >the article is not on the server.  Tin get's into this abort loop and I
> >have to kill the process because tin is stuck.  But once I get out and
> >restart tin, things work fine again, until I hit that timeout value.  Is
> >there a specific configuration I should be using with supernews so that
> >I can circumvent this 5 minutes session timeout they have?
> >
> Please send me a netstat -t. So we can see the states of the links.
>
> >My configuration for supernews is as follow:
> >
> >NewsServerList {
> >  Server corp.supernews.com nntp {
> >    Retries 3
> >    Read *
> >    PostTo *
> >    GroupTimeout 150
> >    BindFrom 64.65.64.15
> >
> The NewsCache is running in a multihomed environment?

No, I'm running NewsCache as a single server.

> >#    Options not-offline
> >#    Commands listgroup over
> >  }
> >}
> >
> >I'm waiting for the ports versin on freebsd to get to 1.1.8 and then I
> >can try that version also.
> >
> Yes, we will see what happens, because all socket operations are made
> with  the Socket++ Library. The error classes are also rewritten to make
> it easier to find a bug.

For some reason I thought freebsd was out of it's ports freeze, but it's
not.  So it'll be a while till it gets updated there.