newscache: Thread: Problems compiling newscache on FreeBSD4.7

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Problems compiling newscache on FreeBSD4.7
From: "Booker" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Dec 2002 22:38:11 -0000

I need help on figuring out what my problem is with compiling on
FreeBSD4.7.  I have tried to compile from FreeBSD ports and from the
newscache src.

I grabbed the source and tried to compile it, NewsCache-1.1.7.tar.gz.
It says I need socket++ so I grabbed socket++-1.12.7.tar.gz.  I'm having
problems compiling socket++.  Below is the problems I am encountering.

bash-2.05a$ ./autogen
libtoolize...
aclocal...
autoheader...
WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
WARNING: `acconfig.h':

WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
WARNING: documentation.
configure.in:29: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or
m4_bpatsubst
configure.in:185: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or
m4_bregexp
autoheader: `socket++/config.h.in' is created
automake...
automake: configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
automake: configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
automake: configure.in: installing `./missing'
doc/Makefile.am:1: installing `doc/texinfo.tex'
automake: configure.in: installing `./depcomp'
autoconf...
Next run ./configure
Next run make

bash-2.05a$ ./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... nawk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc
checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsdelf4.7
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsdelf4.7
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/libexec/elf/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/libexec/elf/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed

Here is the output I get when doing a sudo make install from FreeBSD
ports:

===>  Building for newscache-0.99.22
gmake  all-recursive
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache'
Making all in md5lib
gmake[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache/md5lib'
cd .. \
  && CONFIG_FILES=md5lib/Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh
./config.status
config.status: creating md5lib/Makefile
config.status: executing default-1 commands
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache/md5lib'
gmake[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache/md5lib'
source='md5.cc' object='md5.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/md5.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/md5.TPo' \
depmode=none /usr/local/bin/bash ../depcomp \
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..     -Wall -Wall  -O -pipe  -g -g
-Wno-unused -c -o md5.o `test -f md5.cc || echo './'`md5.cc
../depcomp: ../depcomp: No such file or directory
gmake[2]: *** [md5.o] Error 127
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache/md5lib'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/news/newscache
> I need help on figuring out what my problem is with compiling on
> FreeBSD4.7.  I have tried to compile from FreeBSD ports and from the
> newscache src.
>
> I grabbed the source and tried to compile it, NewsCache-1.1.7.tar.gz.
> It says I need socket++ so I grabbed socket++-1.12.7.tar.gz.  I'm having
> problems compiling socket++.  Below is the problems I am encountering.

I already updated the net/libsocket++ port. Can you try that? It should
build. At least it built for me and the package cluster :).

> ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
> Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
> configure: error: libtool configure failed

Do you have the libtool-port installed? I have no idea what this is about,
it builds fine on my -STABLE with the port.

> Here is the output I get when doing a sudo make install from FreeBSD
> ports:
>
> ===>  Building for newscache-0.99.22
> gmake  all-recursive
> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache'
> Making all in md5lib
> gmake[2]: Entering directory
> `/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache/md5lib'
> cd .. \
>   && CONFIG_FILES=md5lib/Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh
> ./config.status
> config.status: creating md5lib/Makefile
> config.status: executing default-1 commands
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache/md5lib'
> gmake[2]: Entering directory
> `/usr/ports/news/newscache/work/NewsCache/md5lib'
> source='md5.cc' object='md5.o' libtool=no \
> depfile='.deps/md5.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/md5.TPo' \
> depmode=none /usr/local/bin/bash ../depcomp \
> g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..     -Wall -Wall  -O -pipe  -g -g
> -Wno-unused -c -o md5.o `test -f md5.cc || echo './'`md5.cc
> ../depcomp: ../depcomp: No such file or directory

The error above can be solved by stepping into work/newscache../ and
doing automake --add-missing. It is not needed on my STABLE and the
package cluster, so I have no idea why you are facing this problem.

I haven't updated the newscache port yet, because we ran into ports
freeze, and i was not able to do enuff testing, but i have an updated
version, i can send to you, if you manage to compile the libsocket++
port.

If you can't get neither the newscache port, nor the libsocket++ port to compile
mail me, and i can provide binary packages for STABLE.

regards
tilman

[Content type application/pgp-signature not shown. Download]