newscache: Thread: Limiting headers

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Limiting headers
From: Bill ####@####.####
Date: 26 Mar 2005 09:00:09 +0000

Hi
Is there a way to limit the number of headers updatenews fetches for
each newsgroup, either a hard limit (eg 10000) or by date (eg no more
than 5 days old.) My news server has headers going back 7-8 or more
months, and so far updatenews has run almost 24 hours just fetching them!
Once this initial fetch is done, it should be fine...though it would be
nice to be able to set a limit

> Is there a way to limit the number of headers updatenews fetches for
> each newsgroup, either a hard limit (eg 10000) or by date (eg no more
> than 5 days old.) My news server has headers going back 7-8 or more
> months, and so far updatenews has run almost 24 hours just fetching them!
> Once this initial fetch is done, it should be fine...though it would be
> nice to be able to set a limit

No, there is no such limit. NewsCache act more like caching proxy. Therefore all
headers from the upstream server are also available under the NewsCache server.
If the upstream server remove old articles, this articles will also removed from
NewsCache. I take this request and create a new site: Feature Reqeusts:

http://www.linuxhacker.at/newscache/feature_requests