plustek: Thread: installation

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: installation
From: "o.t" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Aug 2000 18:37:25 -0000

The installation of the driver could be simplified. There should be an
archive for people who have sane 1.0.3 installed which just contains the
kernel module. The installation instructions should be changed to
something like this.

-------------------
Install sane 1.0.3 or higher.
Extract the archive in the sane backend directory:
cd some_path/sane-1.0.3/backend
tar -xvzf some_path/sane-plustek-xxx.tar.gz
Install the kernel module:
cd plustek_driver
make
su
make install

Add the following lines to /etc/modules.conf:
alias char-major-40 pt_drv
post-install pt_drv /sbin/modprobe -k parport
options pt_drv lampoff=180 warmup=15 port=0x378 lOffonEnd=0 mov=0

See man page for sane-plustek ("man sane-plustek") for explanation of
the options.
make load

"scanimage -L" should now show something like:
device `plustek:/dev/pt_drv' is a Plustek 9630P Driver-Version 0.36
flatbed scanner
--------------------

This not only shorter but easier to understand.
The instructions tell that you have to reboot. I think this is wrong.
You only have to reboot if you change the kernel.

Thanks for writing the driver.

> The installation of the driver could be simplified. There should be an
> archive for people who have sane 1.0.3 installed which just contains the
> kernel module.

Hi

you are right. I prepared such an archive, but I didn't have the time
to update the homepage...

Thanks for short installation "howto". I will include that in the next
release...

Gerhard