plustek: Thread: Re: plustek 96000 problem

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: plustek 96000 problem
From: ####@####.#### (Jesper K. Pedersen)
Date: 19 Aug 2000 09:26:01 -0000

Here comes my original letter sent to ####@####.####

--------------------------------------------------------->
I've tried hard to make my plustek 96000 driver work, but it fails. I hope
you have the time to help me.

I've installed the program as described in the instruction, I even tried
installing version 1.0.2 of sane, and version 0.35 of your driver. The
result is the same.

Initially when I write scanimage -L it worked a bit and told me that it
found my scanner - GREAT!

OK. I then tried to scan a page using scanimage.
Initially it said a strange sound for one second (like bzzzz), and then it started
scanning. One third of a page down it stopped and said the very awful sound
again. So now It is stuck there and whenever I ask it to scan or even just
use the -L option, then bzzzzzz.

I've tried rebooting and even installing windows to try the scanner from
windows. That worked fine, but back in Linux it started over again: A short
bzzzz then scan one third of a page and bzzzzzzzz the rest.

Hope you can help me.

Let me know if I can help you with any debugging.
<-----------------------------------------------------------

####@####.#### (G. Jaeger) writes:

| Hi Jesper,
|
| first of all, please use version 0.36 (I know, standard advise).
I tried that initially. When that didn't work I searched the net and found
some letters where people had minor problems with older versions, so I
though, let me try an older version, this might be a bug introduced in the
new version.

| Then tell me something about your system
| (What Kernel, what CPU etc)
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 6
model name      : AMD-K6tm w/ multimedia extensions
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 200.461138
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mmx
bogomips        : 399.77

Linux version 2.2.14-15mdk ####@####.#### (gcc version 2.95.2
19991024 (release)) #1 Tue Jan 4 22:24:20 CET 2000

| Then activate the debug messages (in the makefile, then
| line with #DEBUG=y! Uncomment this line)
| Reinstall and retest
| Send the output of dmesg to me and to our mailing list.
OK. Here is step by step what I did.
- tar xvzf ~/tmp/sane-1.0.3.tar.gz
- cd sane-1.0.3
- tar xvzf ~/tmp/plustek-sane-0_36_18.tar.gz
- emacs backend/plustek_driver/Makefile
  - added DEBUG=y
- ./configure --prefix=/opt/sane-1.0.3-plustek-0.36.18
- make
- su
- make install
- exit
- cd backend/plustek_driver
- make
- su
- make install
- make load
  /sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
  /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdk/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol parport_unregister_device
  /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdk/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol parport_enumerate
  /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdk/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol parport_register_device
  /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdk/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol parport_claim
  /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdk/misc/pt_drv.o: unresolved symbol parport_release
  make: *** [load] Error 1
- modprobe parport
- make load
  -------------------------std out--------------------
  /sbin/modprobe pt_drv || exit 1
  rm -f /dev/pt_drv
  mknod /dev/pt_drv c `cat /proc/devices | sed -ne "s/\([0-9]*\) pt_drv/\1/p"` 0chgrp "root" /dev/pt_drv
  chmod "664"  /dev/pt_drv

  ------------------ /var/log/message ---------------------------
  pt_drv: init_module()
  ptdrvInit(0)
  Init settings done
  ScanData = 0xc2d70000
  Requested port at 0x378
  Requested port (0x378) found
  Port mode reported: (0x0079)
  Port registered
  ptdrvOpen(port=0x378)
  Try to claim the parport
  Using SPP-mode
  Attempting to set EPP from ECP mode.
  Port is set to (ECP) EPP mode.
  Starting Scanner-Autodetection
  ************ DETECTP48xx ************
  ModelSet4800()
  modelInitPageSettings()
  A4 set
  ModelSet4800() done.
  P48xxInitAsic()
  DacInitialize()
  ImageInitialize()
  IOInitialize()
  MotorInitialize()
  Test 0x55
  Test 0xAA
  Compare data=0x7e and status=0xe, port=0x378
  p48xxReadWriteTest()
  Found a 96003 ASIC at Reg 0x13
  ModelSet4830()
  modelInitPageSettings()
  A4 set
  ModelSet4830() done.
  p48xxDoTest()
  found 131072 bytes of memory
  tmpByte[0x18] = 0x02
  tmpByte = 0x02, cntr = 128, AsicId = 0x10
  ModelSet12000() done.
  ModelSet9360()
  modelInitPageSettings()
  A4 set
  ModelSet9630() done.
  ModelSet12000() done.
  It seems we have a 12000P/96000P
  DacInitialize()
  ImageInitialize()
  IOInitialize()
  MotorInitialize()
  detectScannerConnection() returns 0.
  p48xxSetupScannerVariables()
  Status-Register = 0xA6
  Scanner has Full/Half Stepping drive
  CCD is SONY Type
  *** setupBuffers ***
  Driverbuf(170780 bytes) needed !
  pColorRunTab = 0xc493152c
  Switching lamp 0 on.
  ptdrvClose()
  *** cleanup buffers ***
  MiscRestorePort()
  Releasing parport
  pt_drv: driver version = 0.36, device 0 ready
  pt_drv: 12000P/96000P found on port 0x0378
  pt_drv: Lamp-Timer set to 180 seconds.
  pt_drv: WarmUp period set to 30 seconds.
  pt_drv: Lamp untouched on driver unload.
  pt_drv: init done - OK

- /opt/sane-1.0.3-plustek-0.36.18/bin/scanimage -L

  ---------------------- std out ------------------------------
  device `plustek:/dev/pt_drv' is a Plustek 12000P/96000P Driver-Version
  0.36 flatbed scanner

  ---------------------- /var/log/messages ----------------------------------
  pt_drv_open()
  ioctl(_PTDRV_OPEN_DEVICE)
  Lamp-Timer stopped !
  Init settings done
  ptdrvOpen(port=0x378)
  Try to claim the parport
  Using SPP-mode
  Attempting to set EPP from ECP mode.
  Port is set to (ECP) EPP mode.
  Starting Scanner-detection for P48xx
[...]
  ioctl(_PTDRV_GET_CAPABILITES)
  ioctl(_PTDRV_GET_LENSINFO)
  ioctl(_PTDRV_STOP_SCAN)
  Waiting for Sensor to be back in position

  ------------------- scanner --------------------------------
  Makes an awful noise, the light is on, the scanning device is stuck one
  third down and do not move!

Hope this tells you something.

Kind Regards and thank you very much for any help you can give.
Jesper.

--
Do you need help with configuring those awful dot files?
Please consult

                  The Dotfile Generator

at http://www.imada.sdu.dk/~blackie/dotfile/
help is avilable for bash, elm, fvwm, ipfwadm, procmail, rtin and tcsh.
From: ####@####.#### (G. Jaeger)
Date: 19 Aug 2000 12:01:14 -0000

Hi Jesper,

this problem seems to be quite new.
I know this awful noise  but usually this happens,
when:

- lp.o module is loaded prior to pt_drv
- the scanner sensor hits the scanbed

but never during the scan in the middle...

Please try and set your parport in the BIOS
to SPP and test and then to EPP and test again.
I'm not sure if ECP is the problem there.
If you have a printer connected to the scanner
remove it.

Gerhard

####@####.####

From: ####@####.#### (Jesper K. Pedersen)
Date: 19 Aug 2000 12:31:02 -0000

####@####.#### (G. Jaeger) writes:

| Hi Jesper,
|
| this problem seems to be quite new.
| I know this awful noise  but usually this happens,
| when:
|
| - lp.o module is loaded prior to pt_drv
| - the scanner sensor hits the scanbed
|
| but never during the scan in the middle...
|
| Please try and set your parport in the BIOS
| to SPP and test and then to EPP and test again.
| I'm not sure if ECP is the problem there.
I dont have an SPP entry in my bios. I do however have the following:
- Normal
- EPP
- ECP
- ECP + EPP

I've tried all of them, and none solved the problem

| If you have a printer connected to the scanner
| remove it.
I do not have a printer connected.

Kind Regards Jesper.
From: ####@####.#### (Jesper K. Pedersen)
Date: 22 Aug 2000 14:45:56 -0000

I've just tried moving the scanner to another computer with the following
description, and the scanner doesn't work with this computer either. Is
there anybody else with a plustek 96000 scanner with the same problem? Can
anybody help me, please.

Cheers Jesper.

The other computer:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 701.607
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips        : 1402.47

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 701.607
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips        : 1399.19

Linux version 2.2.16 ####@####.#### (gcc version 2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease))
#3 SMP Sat Aug 19 17:50:14 CEST 2000

####@####.#### (Jesper K. Pedersen) writes:

| Here comes my original letter sent to ####@####.####
|
| --------------------------------------------------------->
| I've tried hard to make my plustek 96000 driver work, but it fails. I hope
| you have the time to help me.
|
| I've installed the program as described in the instruction, I even tried
| installing version 1.0.2 of sane, and version 0.35 of your driver. The
| result is the same.
|
| Initially when I write scanimage -L it worked a bit and told me that it
| found my scanner - GREAT!
|
| OK. I then tried to scan a page using scanimage.
| Initially it said a strange sound for one second (like bzzzz), and then it started
| scanning. One third of a page down it stopped and said the very awful sound
| again. So now It is stuck there and whenever I ask it to scan or even just
| use the -L option, then bzzzzzz.
|
| I've tried rebooting and even installing windows to try the scanner from
| windows. That worked fine, but back in Linux it started over again: A short
| bzzzz then scan one third of a page and bzzzzzzzz the rest.
|
| Hope you can help me.
|
| Let me know if I can help you with any debugging.
| <-----------------------------------------------------------
|
| ####@####.#### (G. Jaeger) writes:
|
| | Hi Jesper,
| |

From: "Jaeger, Gerhard" ####@####.####
Date: 22 Aug 2000 15:01:37 -0000

Hi Jesper,

I'm afraid, that you're currently the only one with
this problem!
I've tested the driver on an OP96000P but only
on low end machines (Pentium 133 and Pentium
200MMX).

It looks like a timing problem in the communication
between scanner and computer...

As soon as I have a faster machine available
I'll check that again.

Sorry
Gerhard
From: ####@####.#### (Jesper K. Pedersen)
Date: 22 Aug 2000 15:40:07 -0000

"Jaeger, Gerhard" ####@####.#### writes:

| Hi Jesper,
|
| I'm afraid, that you're currently the only one with
| this problem!
| I've tested the driver on an OP96000P but only
| on low end machines (Pentium 133 and Pentium
| 200MMX).
|
| It looks like a timing problem in the communication
| between scanner and computer...
|
| As soon as I have a faster machine available
| I'll check that again.
Is it anything I can help you with?
Not that I'm sure that I'm allowed, but would an ssh connection to my
computer help you anything?