primax: Thread: Makefile.cvs trouble

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Makefile.cvs trouble
From: "Roel de Cock" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jun 2003 16:01:36 -0000

Hi,

I tried to run Makefile.cvs for the latest CVS checkout of
primax_scan. It faltered with the messages shown below.

These come from autoconf-2.53 (Redhat 8) and automake-1.6,
but automake-1.5 and 1.4 more or less cause the same
problem.

Hints anyone?

TIA,

Roel

[roel@shaun ~/src/primax/primaxcvs/primax_scan]$ ./Makefile.cvs
./missing --run autoheader
autoheader: `config.h.in' is created
./missing --run autoconf
configure.in:38: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:53: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
WARNING: `autoconf' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `configure.in'.  You might want to install the
         `Autoconf' and `GNU m4' packages.  Grab them from any GNU
         archive site.
./missing --run automake -a
configure.in:40: `automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not `AC_CONFIG_HEADER'
configure.in:38: no proper implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found,
configure.in:38: probably because aclocal.m4 is missing...
configure.in:38: You should run aclocal to create this file, then
configure.in:38: run automake again.
configure.in:8: installing `./config.guess'
configure.in:8: installing `./config.sub'
Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
/usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
WARNING: `automake' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
         you modified `Makefile.am', `acinclude.m4' or `configure.in'.
         You might want to install the `Automake' and `Perl' packages.
[...]
./missing --run aclocal

http://www.operamail.com
Get OperaMail Premium today - USD 29.99/year

Powered by Outblaze
On Saturday 07 June 2003 17:42, Roel de Cock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to run Makefile.cvs for the latest CVS checkout of
> primax_scan. It faltered with the messages shown below.
>
> These come from autoconf-2.53 (Redhat 8) and automake-1.6,
> but automake-1.5 and 1.4 more or less cause the same
> problem.
>
> Hints anyone?

Hmmm - your aclocal.m4 seems not to be the version matching to your automake.
Please try:
$ aclocal
$ automake -a
$ autoconf
$ ./configure

Beside - this is exactly what Makefile.cvs should do. But if there is a
aclocal.m4 file, it doesn't run aclocal. I wanted to make the Makefile
efficient, but it has a bug so.

A fixed version is also in the CVS now.
You can get it with:
$ cvs update in the primaxscan directory.

Thanks for the help to find this bug. Please report more problems if you find
them.

Gruss,

Andre

> TIA,
>
> Roel
>
> [roel@shaun ~/src/primax/primaxcvs/primax_scan]$ ./Makefile.cvs
> ./missing --run autoheader
> autoheader: `config.h.in' is created
> ./missing --run autoconf
> configure.in:38: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
> configure.in:53: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> WARNING: `autoconf' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
>          you modified `configure.in'.  You might want to install the
>          `Autoconf' and `GNU m4' packages.  Grab them from any GNU
>          archive site.
> ./missing --run automake -a
> configure.in:40: `automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not
> `AC_CONFIG_HEADER' configure.in:38: no proper implementation of
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found, configure.in:38: probably because aclocal.m4 is
> missing...
> configure.in:38: You should run aclocal to create this file, then
> configure.in:38: run automake again.
> configure.in:8: installing `./config.guess'
> configure.in:8: installing `./config.sub'
> Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
> /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in
> AM_CONDITIONAL /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear
> in AM_CONDITIONAL /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not
> appear in AM_CONDITIONAL /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP
> does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL WARNING: `automake' is missing on your
> system.  You should only need it if you modified `Makefile.am',
> `acinclude.m4' or `configure.in'. You might want to install the `Automake'
> and `Perl' packages. Grab them from any GNU archive site.
> ./missing --run automake -a
> configure.in:40: `automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not
> `AC_CONFIG_HEADER' configure.in:38: no proper implementation of
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found, configure.in:38: probably because aclocal.m4 is
> missing...
> configure.in:38: You should run aclocal to create this file, then
> configure.in:38: run automake again.
> /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in
> AM_CONDITIONAL /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear
> in AM_CONDITIONAL /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not
> appear in AM_CONDITIONAL /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP
> does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL WARNING: `automake' is missing on your
> system.  You should only need it if you modified `Makefile.am',
> `acinclude.m4' or `configure.in'. You might want to install the `Automake'
> and `Perl' packages. Grab them from any GNU archive site.
> ./missing --run aclocal

> Hmmm - your aclocal.m4 seems not to be the version matching to your
> automake.
>
> Please try:
> $ aclocal
> $ automake -a
> $ autoconf
> $ ./configure

As a matter of fact, I've first replaced ./missing by the one from
automake-1.6 (to make sure the 'you do not have automake' messages are
crap). Then I tried, in this order:

$ ./missing --run autoheader
$ ./missing --run aclocal
$ ./missing --run autoconf
$ ./missing --run automake -a

Which gives:

autoheader: `config.h.in' is created
configure.in:40: `automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not `AC_CONFIG_HEADER'
configure.in:8: installing `./config.guess'
configure.in:8: installing `./config.sub'
Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'

You can run configure now, but make blows up with:

  cd . && /bin/sh /home/roel/src/primax/primaxcvs/primax_scan/missing --run autoheader
  autoheader: `config.h.in' is updated
  touch ./config.h.in
  cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status config.h
  config.status: creating config.h
  make  all-am
  make[1]: Entering directory `/home/roel/src/primax/primaxcvs/primax_scan'
  source='libsane-primax.c' object='libsane-primax.lo' libtool=yes \
  depfile='.deps/libsane-primax.Plo' tmpdepfile='.deps/libsane-primax.TPlo' \
  depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ./depcomp \
  /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -O2 -c -o \
  libsane-primax.lo `test -f 'libsane-primax.c' || echo './'`libsane-primax.c
  ./libtool: line 1: s%^.*/%%: No such file or directory
  ./libtool: line 1: -e: command not found

  [etc., repeats 15 times or so]

  : compile: cannot determine name of library object from `'
  make[1]: *** [libsane-primax.lo] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/roel/src/primax/primaxcvs/primax_scan'
  make: *** [all] Error 2

(Why the heck does make try to rerun autoheader??)

I then cleaned up the mess and tried to add
AM_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h]) in configure.in directly after
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS, but that yields the same result.

Acknowledgedly, automake/autoconf is my blind spot :-)

Hope you can help out anyway.

Roel

On Monday 09 June 2003 22:32, Roel de Cock wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> As a matter of fact, I've first replaced ./missing by the one from
> automake-1.6 (to make sure the 'you do not have automake' messages are
> crap). Then I tried, in this order:
>
> $ ./missing --run autoheader
> $ ./missing --run aclocal
> $ ./missing --run autoconf
> $ ./missing --run automake -a
>
> Which gives:
>
> autoheader: `config.h.in' is created
> configure.in:40: `automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not
> `AC_CONFIG_HEADER' configure.in:8: installing `./config.guess'
> configure.in:8: installing `./config.sub'
> Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'

<quote>
`AM_CONFIG_HEADER'
     Automake will generate rules to automatically regenerate the config
     header.  This obsolete macro is a synonym of `AC_CONFIG_HEADERS'
     today (*note Optional::).
</quote>

This option is obolete since automake 1.7. I'm using  version 1.7 so I used
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS.
But as it seems this was not the best idea since most distributions still use
1.6.

I changed this back in the CVS version.
For me it still works.

> I then cleaned up the mess and tried to add
> AM_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h]) in configure.in directly after
> AC_CONFIG_HEADERS, but that yields the same result.

Hmm - don't add the line, REPLACE it.

It's modified in the CVS now.

Please try again after
$ cvs update