nanogui: GUILib for C

Subject: Re: GUILib for C
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 19 Dec 2000 15:34:09 -0000

Nick  -
I agree  But at some point QT had to come up with a new API, correct?
So did Gnome.  And I am sure they got the same resistance from the Motif
and Athena people that we are getting now.  It is tough to teach people
a new API, I grant you that.  But seriously, when it comes to open
source programming, I think the more important thing is that an API
exists, not that it is brand new.

Right now, people are looking for an graphical environment that they can
latch on to for the long run.  Yeah, they have X and QT and W and a hand
full of others, but people are quickly realizing that you just can't
take a app from the desktop, shrink it, and go with that.  Here at
Century we are seeing that with ViewML.  New apps have to be designed
with a  PDA in mind (which is where CE went wrong - they tried to
develop a handheld OS with Windoze in mind, and it really turns out to
be a more annoying and smaller version of NT).  So companies and
individuals are truly looking to develop for the PDA will be casting
around for a new API anyway.  Gnome isn't going to cut it on a 160x160
monochrome LCD.   We should at least provide the world with a Nano-X
specific toolset that we can truely call "native".  Plus, we have a
golden chance to be the first toolset on the planet that is easily
portable from platform to platform (we already have the only graphical
engine that is easily portable, we might as well continue the record).

If nothing else, we should have a good set of buttons that I can use in
a pinch when I am writing a small applet or something, and then provide
some glue layers to Gnome or Athena or QT so others can get in on the
action.

Comments?