plustek: Version 0.41 and SANE-1.0.7beta2

Subject: Re: Version 0.41 and SANE-1.0.7beta2
From: Gene Heskett ####@####.####
Date: 1 Feb 2002 05:23:37 -0000

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 03:08 pm, Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>I've currently put V0.41-3 onto the download page. This version
> is identical to the stuff which will be /is in the current
> SANE-1.0.7 included. If you have a parallel port device and you
> plan to use 1.0.7, you have to upgrade the kernel-module, as
> I've changed the IOCTL interface.
>
>NOTE: In SANE-1.0.7, the Plustek-Backend has completely changed
> to support various options!!!!
>
>From the technical point of view, 0.40 and 0.41 is identical...
>
>Have fun
>  Gerhard

I built a pristine sane-backends-1.0.7beta2 this evening.

I had to specify the module:device to xsane before it found it,
but that may be due to the defaults in
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf, so thats not a huge problem.
I note the default minimum def is now 100 dpi, which according to
my reading should be correct unless rather heroic coding is done
to control the motor speed and decimate the incoming data.

I fired it off to go get a preview, it cleared the preview
window, spent quite a bit longer in the calibrate phase than
before, and then started the scan, which proceeded with many
pauses while spitting out many kilobytes of debugging info on the
background shell I started it with.  About an inch down the page
I clicked on the shell and brought it forward to observe the
debugging better.  It was reading the data in 8192 byte hunks,
and at the stopping point claimed there was still about 1.7 megs
of data to read.

The stopping point was a usb freeze requireing yet another reboot
due to loss of my usb mouse, this occured when the carriage was
about halfway down the page.

The last few lines on the screen I managed to save by writing
them down were these:

sanei_lm9832_read_noblock: failed while reading (Input/Output
error)
USB stack read more bytes than requested: Input/Output Error
sanei_lm9832_read: failed while writing command

about a minute later while I was attempting to use the ctrl and
alt-tab keys to bring xsane back to the front and see what the
scan looked like to that point, it output these 4 lines:

getting params 0
params: bytes per line 2550 pixels per line 850 lines 1181
getting params 0
params: bytes per line 2550 pixels per line 850 lines 1181

and then the process was well and truely hung.

However, when I brought the preview window to the front, the scan
data, which was being shown when I coverd it with the shell, had
reverted to the xsane logo, as had all other windows reverted
back to the startup contents.

Then it was reboot time...

Are there enough clues here to allow a finger to be pointed at
the guilty party?  Or is this an artifact of a TYAN Trinity 100
mobo being pushed by a 500mhz cpu and the usb chip is getting a
tummy ache?

Where is the SANE mailing list you mentioned earlier today?
On mostang?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M