gnupic: Reply-to mangling

Subject: Reply-to mangling
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jul 2005 14:43:58 +0100

On 17 Jul 2005, at 13:35, Byron A Jeff wrote:
> Just an E-mail aside. The linuxhacker.org list tends to drop the
> original
> author on the CC list for replies. So you end up getting two
> copies. It's

I'm starting to think maybe I should turn reply-to mangling on after
all. The lists that mangle the reply-to header seem to be very much
in the majority now, so it does tend to confuse people the first time
they encounter one that doesn't (I've had a few people complain
privately to me that "the list seems to be broken" because of this
over the years). Also the much talked about "reply to list" mail
client feature (which would have allowed you to choose between
replying publicly or privately with a single mouse click) hasn't been
implemented in the vast majority of mail clients, so working around
it by messing with reply-to in the list server is the next best
thing. I'm on a lot of mailing lists that have reply-to mangling
turned on and it does make it easier to reply to the list instead of
to the sender, which is what you want to do most of the time. I do
still see people publicly posting messages that they meant to send
privately because of the mangling, but I haven't done it myself for
years because I've got into the habit of always carefully examining
the "To" line before hitting send.

Comments?

--
------------ Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/ ------------
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer