gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Reply-to mangling

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Reply-to mangling
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jul 2005 07:40:02 +0100

On 20 Jul 2005, at 00:01, Paul B. Webster VK2BZC wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 12:28 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> No, please don't.
>   My "take" - please *do*!

Before this turns into a flame war, I've listened to both sides (both
the people who replied to the list and those who contacted me
privately), and the "Yes" vote significantly outnumbers the "No" vote
so I've decided to turn reply-to mangling on. Personally I still
think it's an ugly workaround for something that ought to be an email
client feature, but I do recognise that I'm in the minority in
feeling that way.

>> Another list that I'm on had `reply-to' set until too many people
>> posted confidential stuff to the list by mistake.
>   But that was another list, not this.  For that matter, just what
> sort
> of list *was* that?  As I see it, this particular list here, like

Actually I have seen that happen on technical lists. ISTR one
instance where an engineer replied to a question from a friend about
a flaw in a product he designed, blaming his management for being too
tight-fisted to give him the resources to fix the problem. Of course
he didn't realise the reply would go to the list the question was
sent to - a list that contained hundreds of customers and potential
customers, representatives from the competition, and his boss. But
that is pretty rare. Nearly all of the accidental public postings I
see are just off-topic, not compromising. I saw an example two days
ago that went something like "Hi John, I got the widget you sent me -
what do I owe you for it?" (the guy presumably couldn't remember
John's email address so replied to something he posted to a mailing
list instead, not realising his reply would go to the list instead of
straight to John).

--
------------ Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/ ------------
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer