gnupic: Thread: [PIC] [MICROCHIP] MCP2200 xp driver installation problems, zip files, remote support nightmares

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: [PIC] [MICROCHIP] MCP2200 xp driver installation problems, zip files, remote support nightmares
From: Peter ####@####.####
Date: 17 Oct 2013 10:13:19 -0000

As usual, when dealing with a microsoft product, one ends up doing free
remote PC support for a paying beta product (paid to m$, not to me). I have
problems with mcp2200 based devices which work on several versions of xp and
w7 but not on some xp's. The lack of a net-accessible driver and the fact
that it is only supplied as a zip file (no online driver for windows to
find, no exe for user to install without hassle), is not helpful.

I see that newer drivers (.exe for x64) exist. What do others do to
fix/prevent this problem? Is it possible to place an online repository of
relevant databases (.inf) and point windows at them somehow? By me, by
others? I have no intention to play phone support guy for pc software I did
not write, test, or am paid for.

-- Peter