gnupic: Thread: Specifying processor header file in Makefile/commandline with gpasm in --mpasm-compatible mode

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Specifying processor header file in Makefile/commandline with gpasm in --mpasm-compatible mode
From: Kustaa Nyholm ####@####.####
Date: 20 Dec 2014 06:53:09 -0000

In working with this code:

http://www.diolan.com/pic/bootloader_dwn.html

all the .asm files include the processor specific header with:

	#include "P18F4455.INC"

now I would to specify the header in my Makefile so that
I don't need to edit all those files when I use a different
processor.

So what is the recommended way to handle this?

I can of course specify the header as a symbol defined
on the command line that invokes the assembler but
since I already (need to) specify the processor on
the command line this seems redundant and thus wrong.

br Kusti

On 12/20/2014 01:52 AM, Kustaa Nyholm wrote:
> In working with this code:
>
> http://www.diolan.com/pic/bootloader_dwn.html
>
> all the .asm files include the processor specific header with:
>
>     #include "P18F4455.INC"
>
> now I would to specify the header in my Makefile so that
> I don't need to edit all those files when I use a different
> processor.

you create a new header file called something like "processor.inc" which
has the text "#include <P18f455.inc>" automatically using a makefile
target. Generate this file every time using the forced make target
concept of your Make program. Include the "processor.inc" in all your
assembly files instead.

So when you change a processor, your makefile will generate a new
processor.inc and will re-compile all the code.
I can of course specify the header as a symbol defined
> on the command line that invokes the assembler but
> since I already (need to) specify the processor on
> the command line this seems redundant and thus wrong.

If you're using a Makefile you do not need to specify it twice. The
makefile can track all variables and you can just pass the variable
again as a define option for the gpasm commandline.