gnupic: Thread: gplink and gpsim

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: gplink and gpsim
From: juan ####@####.####
Date: 1 Feb 2016 02:01:03 -0000

	One of the basic functions of a tool like gpsim is to allow
	users to look at program variables, that is, memory locations
	associated with names.

	As far as I can tell, there's no easy way to do that if you are
	linking with gplink and want to watch local registers/variables
	using gpsim.

	The problem arises because the .cod file that gplink generates
	only contains references to global symbols.  Since the
	names of the local registers are not written to the .cod file,
	they don't show up in gpsim's global symbol table. And so they
	can't be added by name to the watch window.

	It is still possible to add any register by address through the
	"register view(RAM)" window, but the user has to look up the
	names/addresses himself and when added the registers appear as
	REGxxx in the watch window - the original names  are lost.
	Which isn't exactly helpful.

	So...after trying to find a workaround in gpsim, I found that
	the simplest solution is to modify gplink so that it writes
	local registers to the .cod file. The gplink 'patch' is 10 lines
	long if anybody is interested.

J.

> 	One of the basic functions of a tool like gpsim is to allow
> 	users to look at program variables, that is, memory locations
> 	associated with names.
>
> 	As far as I can tell, there's no easy way to do that if you are
> 	linking with gplink and want to watch local registers/variables
> 	using gpsim.
>
> 	The problem arises because the .cod file that gplink generates
> 	only contains references to global symbols.  Since the
> 	names of the local registers are not written to the .cod file,
> 	they don't show up in gpsim's global symbol table. And so they
> 	can't be added by name to the watch window.
>
> 	It is still possible to add any register by address through the
> 	"register view(RAM)" window, but the user has to look up the
> 	names/addresses himself and when added the registers appear as
> 	REGxxx in the watch window - the original names  are lost.
> 	Which isn't exactly helpful.
>
> 	So...after trying to find a workaround in gpsim, I found that
> 	the simplest solution is to modify gplink so that it writes
> 	local registers to the .cod file. The gplink 'patch' is 10 lines
> 	long if anybody is interested.

I not watched the list, because very rarely writes someone.
I'm interested in the patch, so if you can please send it to the project:  https://sourceforge.net/p/gputils/patches/

Regards:
Molnár Károly