nanogui: Understanging GrMap/GrUnmap Window

Subject: Understanging GrMap/GrUnmap Window
From: "Robbie" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 2005 22:47:15 +0000

First let me explain what I was tring to go:
I was hoping to use one WINDOW_ID (say master_id) to display various items on various windows (say window 1, window 2,... etc) depending on the mouse pointer on a specified window. So Window 1 will be displayed on the master_id and window_2 will be displayed on the same master_id at some later time. Sometimes I do have to add another window_id on top of the master_id (say mini_win_1) so as to have dynamic changing contents on the smaller window.

I discovered that if I Unmap the master_id, display window 2 on master_id and remap the window, mini_id is still there. I take that to mean that if I Unmap master_id to be reused, I have to Unmap all windows drawn on that master_id. Is that correct?

Why do I want to do all that? Well, I thought that would save memory becuase it appears that to Unmap a window does not remove it from memory but simply make it invisible. Does that make sense to anyone?

I would appreciate any input on this subject. What does Unmap really do?
Also, can I explicitly issue an EXPOSE_EVENT? What is the purpose of GrMapWindow by issuig an EXPOSURE event?

Thanks very much.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com