nanogui: Mapping, Unmapping, and Repainting Windows

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Mapping, Unmapping, and Repainting Windows
From: Gil Glass ####@####.####
Date: 14 Feb 2006 15:18:06 +0000

Sorry, I should have included more detail.  Much earlier in the code, the
following takes place:

    // Open the Nano-X server.

    if ( GrOpen() < 0)
    {
        cerr << "It didn't work." << endl;
        exit(-1);
    }

    width = 240;
    height = 160;

    // Create the new window.
    windowID = GrNewWindow(GR_ROOT_WINDOW_ID, 0, 0, width, height, 0,
GR_COLOR_WHITE, GR_COLOR_WHITE);

    // Map (show) the window.  (NOT NECESSARY???)
    GrMapWindow(windowID);

<yada, yada yada...>

Then, this windowID, '1' as you point out below, is passed to a function
as the parameter "parent" which is then used in the code snippet below.
HOWEVER, you have given me a clue.  It sounds like using the root window
as a parent for other windows that I wish to map and unmap is bad juju.
Shall I have another window in between the root and the window that I'm
trying to map and unmap below?

Thanks!

Gil Glass
Telecom Field Services
JDSU
Germantown, MD, USA
+1-240-404-2551
Please note new e-mail address:  ####@####.####  While the Acterna
address will continue to work for a while, please begin using the JDSU
address instead.

"Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
02/13/2006 11:57 PM
Please respond to
"Greg Haerr" ####@####.####

####@####.#### "Gil Glass" ####@####.####
cc

Subject
Re: [nanogui] Mapping, Unmapping, and Repainting Windows

: Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I have a window (the root window), whose

: window ID is "parent", that is currently displaying and takes up the
: entire display, and I then perform the following operations:

Call your parent window "parent", because the root window
is something else (it's always id 1, and always mapped).  I
presume you're not talking about the real root window.

In the code below, you never mapped your parent window in the
first place, and then mapped it again.  Nano-X keeps
a map count which could get confused if your map/unmap
calls don't match up.

: // Create and open a new window.
: windowID = GrNewWindow(parent, 0, 0, SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, 0,
: GR_COLOR_WHITE, GR_COLOR_WHITE);
:
: // Map (show) the window.
: GrMapWindow(windowID);
:
: <draw some stuff>
:
:  // Remove this window.
: GrUnmapWindow(windowID);
: GrDestroyWindow(windowID);
:
: // Redraw the parent window.
: GrMapWindow(parent);
:
: I should get my original, root window back, should I not?  Well I'm not.

: Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?  I'm using Nano-X version 0.91.
:
: Cheers,
: Gil Glass
: Telecom Field Services