nanogui: multi-thread or multi-process?

Subject: RE: multi-thread or multi-process?
From: "Darran D. Rimron" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Nov 1999 10:56:22 -0000

At this stage, when you think of the type of devices that Microwin is
aiming for (mainly linux based) Threads *MAY* be a good idea but....

> but
> I've been currently more worried about getting the graphics API
> up, and not introducing dependencies on particular platform
> implementations.

....but I have to say, I prefer this option -- perhaps we can have the
facility to have threads, later, not compiled in by default, the
developer has to "turn it on" (a la ./configure option?) as they
require. This way we have atleast one OS where threads works (Linux,
LinuxCE, whatever is easier) and then the developers for other OS' can
use that as a working example and template. Now I have to admit at this
stage I know very little about the deep inner workings of MicroWin but
can we have a /threads/ directory which if we
"./configure --with-threads" and the particular platform we are looking
for isn't in "/threads/arch/i386" (for example) then that particular
make can run minus threads support.  Being as most people won't be using
threads I don't think it'll matter too much :) Did any of that make
sence or is this still to early for me to be awake?

	-Darran (Friday Morning, officially the morning after my teams
	         meeting -- realistically the morning after we all got
	         hammered, wrecked and crashed in a field ;) )