nanogui: Corrupted Packet Nano-X

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Re: Corrupted Packet Nano-X
From: "Aaron J. Grier" ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2007 19:38:22 +0100

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 02:24:25PM -0600, Greg Haerr wrote:
> > I'm wondering if a simpler more appropriate fix would be to put a
> > lock on the client read side for server responses.  I'll cook
> > something up and see how it works.  otherwise I'll dust off our big
> > lock code.  (if anybody's interested, I'll post it to the list.  it
> > is GNU-specific.)
>
> Yes, I'd like to see that code.  (actually you may have sent it some
> time ago, this sounds familiar).  However, since THREADSAFE wraps all
> Gr functions, what's the difference with your approach?
>
> The current THREADSAFE implementation uses the same lock around all Gr
> calls, including client server read calls, so the above shouldn't be
> an issue, right?

after studying the code for a couple days, you're correct... my old
big-lock code (attached) should be equivalent to the use of SERVER_LOCK
with LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER.

> The corrupted packet has to do with a sync issue that arises when a
> non-void GrXXX call reads the pipe to get its return data, but gets an
> out-of-sync event from the server instead.

clients have to hold a lock to send a request to the server, and don't
release it until they read back any necessary response.  the server is
single-threaded, and only handles one request at a time.  what am I
missing?

--
  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  ####@####.####