nanogui: How to draw image with transparency over another image ?

Subject: How to draw image with transparency over another image ?
From: Vladimir ####@####.####
Date: 30 Nov 2007 07:58:48 +0000

Hi,

I write nano-x based daemon, that should display battery indicator on
main screen.
Battery indicator is a series of PNG images with transparency.
Main screen (root window) has a picture as background.

And the question is - how to draw the PNG image over the window ?
I mean that if the battery state is changed that I should draw another
image on the same position, but of course the background will not
repaint by itself.

Is there any easy way to do so ?

Or I should save the image behind the battery indicator to some
offscreen pixmap and after each change of its state I should restore
the background and then draw the battery image ?