nanogui: Re: Microwindows 0.87pre2 released for RTEMS

Subject: RE: FW: Microwindows 0.87pre2 released for RTEMS
From: Rosimildo daSilva ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 1999 01:31:40 -0000

Greg Haerr wrote:
 > : This is more a question for Rosilmido:
 > :
 > : What is the best way to deal with the various drivers for
 > : Microwindows/RTEMS?
 > : My concern is that this could explode in Greg's face.  There are about
 > : 40 BSPs
 > : in RTEMS for 9 CPU families.  Most of these can't support Microwindows
 > : but
 > : there is still the possibility for a LOT of variations.
 > :
 > : I suppose that they are dependent on Microwindows at least as much as
 > : RTEMS.
 > :
 >
 > I would like to include all drivers for Microwindows in the Microwindows
 > source tree.  Written properly, the drivers won't have much to do with
 > RTEMS, but alot to do with the specific display hardware.  The actual
 > way that RTEMS maps the hardware (if any, since most will probably
 > just be memory mapped at hard addresses) can be abstracted once to
 > a separate routine in a separate file.

I think this is probably a good approach. I think we should
abstract the "hardware" ( kdb, mouse, video, touch-device, pen, etc ),
in a way that Microwindows does not have to have to know what CPU/BSP
the thing is running on. I do not know at this point if this is
feasible. For "character oriented devices" such as mouse, kbd
I think is very easy to accomphish it.

 > For instance, that's how I built the Linux-based "framebuffer" routines:
 > I have 4 planes VGA and linear VGA "drivers" that take an address
 > and "draw" to it.  In another file, for Linux framebuffer users, the mmap()
 > system call is used to provide a mapping in the current process address
 > space to the physical hardware.  On real mode MSDOS and protected
 > mode RTEMS, the same lower level drivers work by passing a protected
 > mode-mapped constant address to the same routines.  Thus, the
 > drivers work on any system.

This is a very good way to "abstract the video device". I totally
agree with this idea. I'll study your code to see how we can
abstract this more.

 > Rosimildo has written a serial driver for RTEMS, and included some
 > special routines to interface our select() to RTEMS.  Currently, the VGA
 > driver and mouse driver are intertwined by Rosimildo, but he should
 > probably seperate the "mouse-sequence processing" from the original
 > mouse driver and place it in a separate file.  This will then
 > allow Microwindows to use the same source for mouse processing, with
 > just a serial driver written for RTEMS, while under Linux we use /dev/ttyS1
 > for the same purpose.

Sorry. I did a "quick and dirty" port to see if anybody
was interested on it. Now it is time for clean-up and
do it the "right way".

 > A quick look at the Architecture document on the main web site
 > http://microwindows.censoft.com shows how to write screen drivers.
 > We can enhance that document for RTEMS specifically, if required.
 >
 > When Rosimildo finds time to check out the 0.87pre2 cut that includes
 > the RTEMS integration, I will finalize a directory structure so that RTEMS
 > ports are fairly straightforward...

I'll be looking at it over the weekend.

 > In regards to the CPU families, I'm very interested in special fast routines
 > to perform memory copies etc.  These can be placed in new special
 > directories,
 > or dragged out of the RTEMS development libraries.

Which routines are critical ?

memcpy() ?

One more time, thanks Greg for the hard working that
you are putting on MicroWindows. You are leading this
project extremely well.

Rosimildo.