nanogui: Re: [Bulk] [nanogui] Good "minimalist" Linux distro for FB stuff?

Subject: Re: [Bulk] [nanogui] Good "minimalist" Linux distro for FB stuff?
From: "Edward King" ####@####.####
Date: 8 Jun 2008 15:05:43 -0000

Kris Adcock wrote:
> Good evening all!
>
> Does anyone here have comments about good (or bad) minimalist Linux
> distros, on which to intall a Framebuffer-configured Nano-X project? I
> want to build a mini-ATX Linux box on which will run my
> Framebuffer-based project, and I want to have the install as
> trimmed-down as possible (I just need Framebuffer and network support,
> really). To begin with it'll be installed on one of those "flash" IDE
> units (that hold 512MB) but I'm hoping longer-term to build a PXE
> image for network transfer.
>
> I could fight with my usual choice of distro (SuSE) and see what I
> can strip out to get it down to a sensible size ... but I figure that
> this must be a task that others here have battled with.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Kris.

Kris,

in my own case, I went through several "minimal" distributions and also
through the process of stripping my own favourite (Slackware) to the
bare-bones.

Neither of those approaches was particularly efficient as it only got the
image down to around 300megs. The absence of general package dependency
information prevented me getting it any smaller than that so I tried an
alternative route:

TTYLinux lets you start off with the absolute minimum and you can build up
from there. It gives you basic networking tools and enough commandline stuff
for you to be able to wget or ftp sources or packages and install them, plus
user admin stuff. A basic install comes in at around 12 megs (in my own
experience).

My image including the basics plu my own programs and libraries is now
80megs, a saving of 220megs over a "minimal" install of any of the other
distros (including linux from scratch).

However, in order to achieve this, I have been running two systems side by
side, one Development version and one target version. Recompiling the
kernel for a minimalist distribution is a very good idea because there is no
doubt significant amounts of chaff in there that you really dont want or
need.

Linux from scratch is a good way to learn how to build from the "ground" up
as it is pretty well documented, and although it includes many packages you
dont need for a truly minimal install, you can include these in your
development image and exclude them for your target device image.

Edward

p.s if your target is X86 based and you dont mind some additional steps
later on, I found doing all this inside of virtual PC or VMware made my
"proof of concept" stage run a lot faster and smoother. Just remember that
the hardware you get in virtualPC is different to the hardware you'll be
using on your development unit!