nanogui: Re: Microwindows 0.87pre2 released for RTEMS

Subject: Re: FW: Microwindows 0.87pre2 released for RTEMS
From: Rosimildo daSilva ####@####.####
Date: 17 Dec 1999 13:46:49 -0000

Joel Sherrill wrote:
 > This stuff is provided with RTEMS.  RTEMS supports the POSIX termios
 > and most (recent) RTEMS serial device drivers provide the required
 > interfaces.
 >
 > It sounds like the serial mouse code is portable since it is layered
 > around the portable POSIX serial interface.
 >
 > I don't know about the ps2 mouse interface.  Is it essentially the same
 > as the serial mouse except via a different IO interface?

Yes. The PS2 mouse interface works pretty much as a serial device,
except that it has its own I/O interface and an ISR.
I'll be working to get the Linux version working with RTEMS.

 > What requirements do you have on a keyboard driver?  Again, this is
 > part of the console device driver.  This follows the same termios model
 > as the serial devices with the output side going to the VGA screen.

I actually used the "console" driver for that.
One problem that I noticed is that Microwidows requires a
non-blocking call to receive keystrokes. I had to add such
functionality.

My 2 cents:
I believe that "console" on RTEMS ( and embedded systems ) is more
like a "debug port", and it should be when possible, a different device from the
regular input device. In some cases, such as PC386, the console KDB
and the input KBD are actually the same device. Another point that
make me think that they should be different is the case where we
want to "play" some kestrokes for demos. I see the need for you to
write to the KBD device to simulate keystrokes. Windows does
that with its "System Hooks".
This is just my view and comments are welcomed.

Rosimildo.

Thanks,
Rosimildo