nanogui: Nano-X and win32

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Nano-X and win32
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jun 2008 19:56:34 -0000

: Ok, so if I want to use Nano-X under Windows I need to compile it need
: compile it with its win32 API.
: Then, if I want to compile it under Windows for a Linux platform, I need
: compile it with NanoX libs (X11).
: Is it going to give me the same "result"? That's what people call
: "cross-compile"?

If you're trying to compile up the microwindows distribution
using Windows (say using Cygwin), this has nothing to
do with win32 or nano-X APIs, as these APIs are
implemented by microwindows for ITS applications.

: > > I can compile the demo.  (because of the  prototypes in header files.)
: > > But then, the linker gives me this error: undefined reference
: > > to 'GrOpen',
: > > 'GrNewWindow", "GrSelectEvents", etc..
: > >
: > > How/where can I find these functions?
: > > - libnano-X.a         (error: "could not read symbols: File in wrong
: > > format")

All the GrXXX functions are in libnano-X.a.  Fix your Makefile
or linker commands, the above errors tells you've done
something wrong, since the other libraries are ok.

: > > I also found the client.c which open aconnection to the
: > > server, do I needto
: > > implement this "communication" to use Nano-X under Window?

If you want to RUN nano-X on Windows, then, you have two
choices, you can either link the applications to the server,
LINK_APP_TO_SERVER, or you'll have to implement
a method for interprocess communication, which should work
with some changes to the client.c code.

However, there are a number of other issues, since Windows
doesn't allow direct access to the framebuffer in the same way
as Linux.  I built a Windows screen driver for microwindows
some years ago, along with a number of other changes, if
this is what you're looking for.  I didn't use Cygwin for
this, but built a native port instead. (yes, I know we already
have win32 on win32, but I guess it was for the fun of it,
at the time I was using Windows quite a bit)

If you're cross-compiling for X11 on another platform using
Windows tools, then not much should require change, set the
config file for the target just like on any system.