nanogui: cross-compiling for nxlib

Subject: Re: [nanogui] cross-compiling for nxlib
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Aug 2008 17:01:01 -0000

: I am very new to Nano-X and all things embedded and am having doubts on
: how to compile a project to run on nxlib. In specific, I'd like to learn
: how to set up a cross-compiler to deal with source code that depends on X
: for a platform where X does not exist. Should I first make (an otherwise
: unusable build of) X with the cross-compiler so that lib files are
: generated?

NXLIB doesn't require X11 to be built or existent in order
to be cross-compiled.  The NXLIB build process will replace
the standard libX11.{a,so} and then redirects X11 requests
to nano-X.  So don't bother building X11.

 Is X source code hardware-independent enough to compile for
: linux no matter the target hardware?

A better question is: can the X11R6 header files be used to
cross-compile NXLIB?  The answer is yes.  NXLIB uses
a couple of standard X11 header files to get the definitions
of various types and structures.  We decided not to drag these
along with NXLIB because they may change with X11 versions.
You can grab these couple of headers files (like X11.h, etc)
from _any_ X11 distribution and put them in a standard place
or into the NXLIB directory.