nanogui: moving the window decoration

Subject: Re: [nanogui] moving the window decoration
From: Michael Schnell ####@####.####
Date: 8 Sep 2008 07:59:00 -0000

Greg Haerr wrote:
> When the nanowm window manager runs, it creates an additional
> window used as a window frame for all top level windows
> (windows whose parent is root).
I did suppose this.
> It uses GrReparentWindow
> to cause this new frame window to be the parent of the
> user window.  Thus, the frame window contains the user
> window.  You can access this window by getting the parent
> window ID of your window.

As I assumed exactly this, I did try this but I seem to have gotten the
ID of the main Window as got an error message that same can't be moved.
I'm going top retry and come back.
> The X11 window manager works the same way but additionally
> "redirects" window move requests to the frame window by
> catching these events and resending them.  In general, a
> top-level window shouldn't care where it is positioned exactly,
> thus normally calls to GrMoveWindow on a top level window
> would be considered bad manners...

Unfortunately this is my first meeting with X. I never tried to do
anything with X11 yet, so I don't ave any experience to rely on :(.

Thanks a lot for helping !

-Michael