nanogui: Showing a static picture during system initialization

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Showing a static picture during system initialization
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2009 04:20:36 -0000

: nanowm is already running, so I guess we could run a simpler application
: just to show a message or a picture on the screen. We are not doing that
: yet, but it would not be problematic, I guess.

nano-X has the capability to display a background image
on the screen, this could be used without having to write
another application, although that also would be simple.

:   - the application initialization is the trickiest part. During about 30
: seconds, many FLTK windows are drawn and repositioned on screen, all of
: which is visible to the user. In the end, one of the windows is maximized
: and stays in front of the others, and windows are switched as required by
: the application.
:
: My question is: is there a simple way to hide this whole initialization
mess
: from the user? It feels like there should be one ore more ways to do it,
but
: I can't see how.

Another idea is to run an application that creates a window
the size of the whole screen (positioning the window manager
decorations off screen) and maintaining top z-order so that
all the other windows are covered, until ready.  Although
nano-X doesn't yet have a force top-z-order flag, the window
manager has hooks on all window creates and could be
modified to be the application that maintains this top level
window until notified to unmap it.