nanogui: Positioning window after it has been shown

Subject: Re: Positioning window after it has been shown
From: "Aaron J. Grier" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Sep 2009 17:21:23 -0000

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 02:01:54PM +0200, Michael Schmid wrote:
> In have an application (GUI-Based) where I start a webbrowser as another
> process. The browser appears in another parent window in front of my
> application (z-order). The problem is that I don't know how to move
> that window. I know the GrMoveWindow() function, but I don't know how
> to get the "window descriptor", because it's another programm where I
> don't touch the code... How can I get the "window descriptor" which I
> need to use GrMoveWindow() ?

traverse the list of clients, look for your web-browser, get its window
ID, and resize it...  the exact mechanism will be dependent on your
window manager.

Greg, does nano-X have anything similar to xlsclients?

> --> Is there any possibility to get the window descriptor of the last
> started window?
> --> Or is there any possibility to say: Next window which starts should
> have this position?
> --> Or is there any trick to say that the next window should bound it
> lower, right edge with the lower, right edge of the allready actual window?

the latter two are usually done with hints passed from the window
manager to the application during the application's startup.

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | ####@####.####