nanogui: Can Nano-X display on remote X-term

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Can Nano-X display on remote X-term
From: Michael Schnell ####@####.####
Date: 15 Oct 2010 07:38:45 -0000

  On 10/14/2010 10:18 PM, Wojtek Skulski wrote:

>  My goal is the following: my new board is running ucLinux. It is a
> VME board. It does not have its own display. But it has a gigabit
> ethernet interface. I want to run an app which will popup a window on
> a remote machine, either a regular Linux box or Windows. I do not
> care, whether the remote machine is Linux or Windows. Can be either.
>
> I am probably confusing "server" with "client".

You can run an X server on your PC This is the standard "Unix-type" way
of doing a GUI. There are (free) X-Server programs for Windows, as well.
The problem is that the PC is the server, so you need another network
connection to the device (e.g. Telnet or SSH) to start the GUI program
(this could be e.g. KDE) that will attach to the (remote) X-Server.

"XMING" (e.g. for Windows) can automate this process so that the
embedded device now seems to be the server to the PC-user.

"NX" does this in a much more professional way (and additionally
compresses and encrypts the X-traffic via SSH). So there only is a a
single network connection

With these solution you don't needs an X-server in the embedded device
at all, but you do need a fully fledged Widget Set installation, unless
you application uses the X-API directly instead of a standard
Widget-based GUI API (such as GTK).

VNC, OTOH uses a local X- (or nano-X) server and synchronizes it's
output with the PC screen output. Here you need the Widget Set and the X
server on the remote device. But AFAIK, the nano-X installation
including the Widget set is by far smaller than just GTK or a similar
full fledged Widget set, Moreover the GUI program can run even if no PC
is attached.

-Michael